Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Busy, Busy Week

I know I have been a little MIA this week...there has been a lot to tend to this week on the homefront.

To begin, I am in the process of disputing a decision with the State of California to discontinue one of Taylor's physical therapy services - her therapeutic horseback riding - with the Department of Developmental Services. My husband and I are attending an informal administrative meeting tomorrow morning; and the following week, we are scheduled to appear before the Administrative Law Judge for the Department of Developmental Services for our 1st fair hearing request. I am presently coordinating with one of Taylor's medical practitioners, her lead physical therapist, to have her appear in court with us to present testimony and to offer her medical expertise before the judge on precisely why the horseback riding program represents an essential component to Taylor's overall health, physical and medical well-being and why eliminating the horseback riding program will prove to be detrimental to Taylor's progress in overcoming her disability. Additionally, I am assembling the many medical records and various documentation related to Taylor's diagnosis, past therapy services, assessments and benchmarks/goals as noted by Taylor's various medical doctors and physical therapists in order to present these to the judge at our fair hearing request next week.

Oh, and it's tax time again, so I am in the process of gathering all of the various summary statements for our out-of-pocket medical expenses incurred for the year 2008. Lucky me. I'm in charge of itemizing all the deductions related to the twins and their medical/healthcare. My husband delegates this task to me every year...while it's not a lot of fun tracking down all the expenses and statements from the many, many medical/healthcare providers for Paige and Taylor, it is a necessary evil in our household and it has resulted in much-needed deductions with the IRS in all previous years. It always amazes me how many THOUSANDS of dollars we end up spending out-of-pocket each year just on the twins' medical/healthcare...expenses that are over and above what our private insurance pays. History tells me, based on the past 2 years of our out-of-pocket spending for the twins, that the year 2008 will once again prove to have been just as expensive as previous years...

And, finally, as if all of this wasn't enough to keep me hopping this week, there are the usual physical therapy appointments at the clinic for Taylor as well as a couple of doctor appointments for Paige.

I am sure going to be ready for the weekend...but, alas, it's only Tuesday and the weekend is waaaaaay too far off still to start getting very excited about that!