Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reflections on Today's Nationwide Tea Party

Us, before we leave for the Tea Party, with a couple of our signs.

Future capitalists.

My family, along with some good friends, attended the rally of a couple thousand in California's state capitol. It was a beautiful sunny day. People took the day off work, many brought their entire families - from the smallest of children to the eldest of grandparents - to unite in support of a simple message of peaceful protest against massive government growth, increased taxation as well as the continued efforts of our government to run more and more of our lives.


Now, depending on which media source you get your news and information from, you will either here that this day represented the beginning of a new populist movement. Or, you will hear that this movement is nothing more than a few angry taxpayers and as such these media sources will certainly dismiss today's rallies along with the electrifying energy and spirit of the events and the Americans who participated in the rallies today.

For me, it was a family-friendly rally. There were no broken windows. There were no riots. Nobody was taking their clothes off. Nobody was making out in front of my kids. Nobody was complaining about a war or lifestyle choice that some approve of and other's disapprove of. There were just a lot of nice and respectful ladies, gentlemen, families, and children of all backgrounds and walks of life proudly wearing red, white and blue. I also loved seeing the American flag in the hands of so many people today who know how to use it and who respect it. They waved the flag with purpose and pride - with gusto even! Today was a good day.

Will our government respond to the messages of today's symbolic, nationwide Tea Party? Who knows. Time will tell.

In the meantime, here are a few photos which we took today:



A view, about 50 rows of people back, from the steps of the Capitol.

Paige and Mommy

A friend and her daughter joined us for the rally today.



My friend and I pause from our sign-holding to pose for a photo opp.

More photo opps in front of the State Capitol steps.





Gracie, Taylor and Paige playing with a patriotic puppy at the rally.

I will close the post tonight with a few of my friends' reactions to our family's participation in today's Tea Party rally (the comments shown below are pulled directly from my FaceBook account pages). No doubt, thousands of other Americans across the country who participated in today's rallies are enjoying much of the same and hearing a lot of similar sentiments. We should all feel great pride and take heart in what our symbolic protest and participation represented today. (For the purposes of privacy, I am only posting the first names of my friends who offered comments).

Ava: Hi Ashley, Love the Tea Party signs. You and the girls look great and sooo happy!!!

Karen: It is so great that you did this. I love the pics of the girls too. Great job Ashley, start them young!!

Brian: Very cool, Ashley!!!

Steve: Way to represent! My parents made it up there from the Bay Area. I'm going to catch it on the news --had to work. Love the "young Republicans" you brought!

Salena: You go, girl! I am trying to attend one in my neck of the woods too.

Brian: Great. This is just what we need...hope attendance is good!

Esther: Ashley, my granddaughter and hubby attended in Franklin, North Carolina...you should be able to see the pictures they posted by going to my FaceBook page and clicking on the one there I commented on.