Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mike's Birthday Weekend

FRIDAY

Mike's birthday celebration started on Friday when Paige, Taylor and I spent a couple hours in the kitchen baking the birthday cake. Now, this birthday cake might not have gotten so much as even a nod from Martha Stewart, but in our household, it was a truly fabulous cake! Here's why: as Paige and Taylor helped to blend and stir the ingredients in the big bowl, there were lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" as we watched the cake turn its lovely golden yellow AND as we put it in the oven and talked about the cake baking, we also talked about "what a surprise it will be for daddy" when he sees the cake that we made! Later, as Paige and Taylor sat at the table side by side and iced the cake, the girls told me that their cake tasted "mighty good" as they licked their spoons, dipped them back into the icing, licked the spoons again, then smeared what icing remained on the spooons onto the cake. Finally, Paige and Taylor decorated the cake with rainbow colored sprinkles - the same type of sprinkles that the girls always like on their ice-cream when we go to their favorite ice-cream parlor. While the moments and memories of baking the birthday cake were pretty awesome in their own right, it was also pretty cool that the cake actually tasted good too! In fact, it's Sunday night now as I type this posting and we're still enjoying the left-overs of Paige and Taylor's birthday cake for daddy...

Paige helping to stir the ingredients for the cake.

Taylor taking her turn stirring the ingredients together.
Onto icing the cake.
Adding the sprinkles.
Adding more sprinkles...in between taking mouthfuls themselves.
Almost done decorating now...
SUNDAY
The day began with Mike getting a surprise from Paige and Taylor with a couple of Happy Birthday - You're Toadally Old froggie balloons. (Check out the short video). The twins had fun surprising daddy with the balloons and later had more fun chasing after each other with the balloons. About mid-morning, we ventured downtown to walk around the state capitol before the 3-digit temperatures rolled in...we even took Tukker with us on our walk so it was truly a family affair!
Then came golf. Mike got a new golf club for his birthday, so naturally, he wanted to take some time to hit golf balls and get on some greens. While Mike golfed, Paige, Taylor and I went to a nearby park for a couple hours. The day wrapped up with a cook-out and a rather early bed-time for Paige and Taylor. All this partying today really tuckered the twins out! A fun day for daddy. A fun day for all of us.