Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Monday, July 28, 2008

My (Least) Favorite Comments & Questions


So, I’ve just finished up a week of play dates, doctor appointments and errands with twin toddlers constantly in tow. And, lo and behold, here comes a sweet, smiling woman with a predictable comment or question: "Looks like you have your hands full. Did you deliver naturally? Did you use fertility drugs?"

Having twins, I seem to get all kinds of crazy questions! Sometimes, I feel that we should charge admission to a side show to all the curious strangers we encounter when out and about with Paige and Taylor. It’s also fascinating to me how many strangers are interested in the most personal details of my life.

People just seem so intrigued by twins. I’m sure that they don’t mean to say silly things or ask what I would consider to be very personal questions but, it just happens. In this journey of raising twins, I’ve learned to forgive many a stranger and passerby-er for their curious questions and comments. Then, usually my husband and I share a good laugh later.

Here are a few of our top (least) favorite comments and most-asked questions:

- Comment from a stranger: “I could never do it.”
Me: “Oh, really. What would you do? Are you suggesting I put them on the curb with signs around their necks that say, ‘Free to a good home. My mom can’t do it.’”

Of course, I never respond this way although I’m very tempted to sometimes depending on how my day is going.

- Question from a stranger: “Do they have different personalities?”
Me: “No. They are the exact same human being divided into two parts.”

Okay, that’s the answer I want to give sometimes especially if I’m in a hurry. My more likely response is something like this: “No. They are really very different. This one is shy. This one is flirty. This one is the drama queen…” Blah, blah, blah.

- Question from a stranger: “Did you use fertility drugs?”
Me: “No. It was a total surprise. We just thought we’d ease into this whole family thing like most people do - one child at a time. Lucky us, we were doubly blessed naturally.”


- Comment from a stranger: “Just wait till they’re older. It only gets harder.”
Me: “Oh, thanks, that’s just what I needed to hear today.”


- Question from a stranger: “When one of the twins cries, does she wake the other?”
Me: “No. Twins cannot hear each other’s cries because they all communicate with their special telepathic language only.”
If feeling punchy, this is a fun one! You can really embellish this response by talking about ‘twinspeak’, etc.

- Question from a stranger: “Were they in the same sac?”
Me: “Hello. Nice to meet you, too. Will you be sharing your gynecological history with me too?”
No, I never answer this question with this type of response although I’ve been tempted too many times.

- Question from a stranger: “Are they developmentally behind?”
Me: “Well, let’s see. They’re 2-1/2 years old and as of right now, all their graduate school applications have been denied.”

- Question from a stranger: “How do you do it?”
Me: "I just do it. I also try not to stop and think about it too much because if I do, that’s when it can get really overwhelming.”

- Comment from a stranger: “You must be SO busy.”
Me: “Yeah, some days.”

- Question from a stranger: “How do you tell them apart?”
Me: "I just look at them.”

- Question from a stranger: “What do you do when they both cry or fuss at the same time?”
Me: “Sometimes I cry too. More often that not though, I just jump in the car with them and we drive to Starbucks and get my fix of a grande, non-fat, light whip peppermint mocha. Starbucks can make everything all better.”

And, finally. Drum roll, please....

- Question from a stranger: “Did you plan to have identical twins?”
Me: “Yeah, totally. One night I just told my husband to sock it to me so we’d get two.”
No, of course, I never give that response but it would be fun to one day just to see what response I get back. Ha, ha, ha.