Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Recipes & Supplements for the Nutritionally Challenged


Our daughter Paige is a finicky eater. Actually, she’s beyond finicky. In our home, she’s affectionately referred to as “the nibbler” because she’ll take a crumb of food and call that crumb a meal. She has been followed by a gastroenterologist since her birth in the NICU as a preemie due to acid reflux issues and other feeding issues. In addition to seeing a gastroenterologist, about a year ago, we added a pediatric dietician to the mix to help us maximize the quality of literally every nibble that Paige eats.

A couple of the nutritional supplements that are staples in our home for Paige are Benecalorie Medical Food, Resource Boost and Duocal. While these supplements are most often used in addressing cancer-related nutritional issues and other disease-related nutritional issues, these supplements are also often recommended to young children who need some extra calories and nutrients in their diets.

Thought some of you out there might also have your own finicky eater in your household and might find these products worth a closer look. Of course, be sure to talk to your own doctor before incorporating any of these into your child’s diet.

Benecalorie

A whopping power-pack of 330 calories in just 1.5 ounces! Yep, 330 calories in 1.5 ounces. That’s more calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger, more calories than a McDonald’s 6 piece chicken nugget, and more calories than a double-decker taco at Taco Bell. It also provides 7 grams of protein and 100% of the required daily intake for vitamins C and E. Although it’s a super tiny 1.5 ounce serving, don’t underestimate this one. It’s helped our little picky eater Paige gain and maintain weight. I mix it in with whatever I can – a yogurt, an applesauce, ice cream, etc. There are also some recipes online that offer some additional ideas for jazzing up this supplement. http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com/cancer-nutrition/resource-center/recipes.asp

Resource Juice Boost



This fruit-flavored juice is pretty yummy (I’m known to drink these from time to time myself as a mealtime supplement). It’s loaded with all kinds of good stuff like 9 grams of protein plus 20 essential nutrients, to help boost energy and maintain muscle mass. It also offers 250 calories, again, perfect for our little Paige who needs all the extra calories she can get! Paige’s favorite flavor is Peach but there’s also a choice of Berry Fruit and Orange to choose from.

Duocal
Finally, there’s Duocal. The administration and intake of this one should only be used under the guidance of a medical doctor. The dosing of this supplement varies by age and weight so it’s definitely not to be used without medical supervision. That said, our Paige gets a couple tablespoons each day of this supplement. It’s a really high calorie powdered supplement that mixes with most foods and liquids and provides extra fat and carbs in her diet.