Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Sick Kid

So Paige has had a dry cough at night for the past 7-10 days. At her pediatrician's recommendation, I've been giving her a dose of over the counter Delsym cough medicine at bedtime to help alleviate the nighttime coughs. The pediatrician also said, "If it doesn't progress into a wheezing, crackly sounding cough, just treat with the Delsym and it will clear up on its own most likely in a couple weeks." Well, the cough has persisted and then yesterday afternoon, Paige started throwing up. She also had a fever to accompany the vomiting.

So, I know this drill REALLY well by now when it comes to Paige. Anytime Paige starts having any episodes of vomiting, I already know what's afoot. Ear infections. So, I asked my husband to take Paige to the walk-in clinic close to our house yesterday since it was late Sunday afternoon and I wouldn't be able to get ahold of my pediatrician and I did not want a sleepless night of vomiting, changing bed sheets, changing pjs for Paige all night long...that's no fun for her or her parents.

Of course, I knew what the doctor at the walk-in clinic would tell Mike:

"Paige has ear infection(s)"

Taylor and I stayed at home...no need for the 4 of us to go traipsing into the doctor's office. That is only inviting multiples mayhem in the waiting room, the patient room, etc. Trust me on this one. Taking twin toddlers anywhere together is an invitation to total chaos! There always seems to be a disaster left in our wake wherever we go.

About an hour later when Mike returned home with Paige I asked him, "Ear infections, again?" to which I already knew the answer. Yes, double ear infections. So, now we are treating Paige with an Rx for the ear infections and the doctor also gave a stronger Rx strenth cough medication to Paige as well, to take as needed at nighttime. And, we're doing the round the clock, every 4 hour dosings alternating between Children's Motrin and Children's Tylenol to combat the fever.

This is always a really tough time of year for Paige. (She doesn't have the strongest immune system....never has). I swear a sick kid could just look at Paige from across the room and she'll pick up whatever that kid has. She's really susceptible to colds, coughs and the other ailments that usually accompany the cold & flu season. And, ear infections. Oh, those ear infections. These always seem to be a mainstay in our home through the cold & flu season with Paige. Not fun!

Speaking of ear infections, I find these to be particularly frustrating. I have asked our pediatrician many times if Paige is a candidate for tubes in her ears since she's always getting ear infections. To which the pediatrician replied something along the lines of, "Well, she's not yet...since her ear infections tend to clear up every time with the medication, I don't think we need to do tubes yet."

Now, as a mom who has a mom who told me that when I was growing up, both my brother and I had tubes put in our ears, I have previously pressed our pediatrician a little further on this for explanation. What I have since learned is that in California (and perhaps in other states as well), there is some minimum # of ear infections that must be met before a child is considered eligible for tubes...talk about frustrating. So, meanwhile, we basically have to make do and suffer through the cold & flu season with Paige until she meets that arbitrary, pre-determined # of ear infections before we can even explore getting tubes in her ears. I'm sure there is some lofty rationale for this among the medical community, but to me, a simple mother who hates the continuous cycle of ear infections, doctor visits and prescription medications to Paige just doesn't make sense. Why not just give the kid tubes already, I say. And, isn't this what we have our medical insurance for? We aren't paying those PPO premiums with Cigna Insurance for nothing, right....