Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Transitions for Taylor


Today, I met with several service coordinators from the local school district to discuss Taylor’s cerebral palsy and her anticipated therapy needs as we begin to plan for her school-age years.

I had been anticipating this meeting for quite some time now. As I met with the school district personnel and service coordinators, I spent a good deal of time talking with them about Taylor’s disability, her medical history, her progress in managing/overcoming her disability, her challenges/struggles, and ultimately our goals for her in the future. The service coordinators and school staff, in turn, spent a good deal of time observing Taylor. They observed her gross motor skills (walking, jumping, climbing), her fine motor skills (holding crayons, coloring, manipulating small toys/objects), her language/communication, her self-help skills (eating, dressing, toileting, etc).


Taylor was noted to have...


- Age-appropriate fine motor skills. YAY!!!!
- Age-appropriate self-help skills. YAY!!!!

- Age-appropriate langugage/communication skills. YAY!!!!
- Age-appropriate social/recreational/play skills. YAY!!!!
- Delays in her gross motor skills, as we expected, due to the type of cerebral palsy she has.

After an extensive evaluation, the therapists determined that Taylor would not be eligible for ongoing services. Yep, not eligible.


Now, keep in mind, to this point, Taylor has been receiving ongoing weekly therapy sessions (physical therapy, aquatic therapy, occupational therapy, therapeutic horseback riding) for the past 18 months. To be told today, that Taylor will not receive ANY of these services once she begins school was very disappointing!

Now, on the face of it, you might be thinking to yourselves, “oh, well that must be a good sign…Taylor must be doing well enough that she doesn’t need the continued, intensive schedule of physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.” That is not the case. The fact of the matter is that Taylor is doing as well as she is BECAUSE SHE HAS BEEN RECEIVING AND PARTICIPATING IN ALL THESE SERVICES FOR SO MANY MONTHS.

When I pressed the school district further, much to my dismay, they would not budge. I learned that the school district’s team of physical therapists and service coordinators are currently very understaffed, are currently only working part-time due to state budget constraints, have to serve 1/3 of the entire county in which we live, and as a result have a significant waitlist for pediatric services. At best, the school district informed me that they would only monitor Taylor’s progress by merely checking back in with Taylor for observation either one time every six months or one time every twelve months to simply update her charts and school records.

As Taylor’s mom, this is simply unacceptable. I am not about to truncate my child’s progress or hinder her abilities to improve and continue to overcome her disability because the school district is unable to provide continued treatment and therapy services for her. So, now I will continue to advocate to our insurance company for all the services that Taylor has been receiving and in my estimation needs to continue to receive. Thank God my husband and I have a good PPO insurance plan!!!! Between the various therapy services that average $150.00 per hour/5 times a week (that's $3,000 per month of therapy services), the purchases of her little braces to the tune of $1,500.00 each/purchased 2 times a year, our insurance company must really love us. Yeah, right! If the insurance company doesn't continue to provide for all these services, perhaps I will have to go back to work in order to help pay for these services...whatever it takes...whatever I've got to do....Taylor is not going to be short-changed with getting whatever she needs. As a parent, I must consider the rest of her life, the quality of her life. God has entrusted Taylor to Mike and me and charged us with the awesome responsibility of helping her to become all that she can be. We know that she can ultimately overcome her mild disability but not without continued hard work and dedication from both Taylor and a committment from her mom and dad to make it happen.

So, tomorrow I will begin the discussions with our insurance company to make sure that they will continue to provide these much-needed services for Taylor. I just pray that the insurance company will continue providing these services to Taylor. Over the past 18 months, she has made such incredible progress and I really believe that with continued intensive weekly therapy services during the next couple of years Taylor will achieve her maximum potential, complete motor independence and overcome her disability.