Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Is It Really Over?

Summer. Is Summer really over?

Where did the time go? I swear I ask myself this question more often than ever before – ever since the twins joined our family. It seems like just a few weeks ago that I was shopping for summer clothes and flip-flops…now, it’s time to start thinking about fall, birthdays, vacations and holidays. Soon we’ll be relegated to staying indoors more too. Bummer.

Speaking of Fall, I am scheduled to meet with some service coordinators from the local school district in October to discuss Taylor’s cerebral palsy, her therapy needs and the like. This is going to be a reality check for me, I know. I’ll be visiting some new clinics and meeting with a whole host of new therapists. I will also see new children. Children of varying degrees of special needs and disabilities. I imagine that there will be some children who will look a lot like Taylor – children who wear little braces on their legs. I imagine that I will also see some children who will remind me of Paige. These will be the children who show no obvious signs of developmental delay or disabilities but perhaps they have autism, a speech impediment or other special need. I imagine that I will also see some children being pushed in wheelchairs and walking with walkers and other special equipment. I think it will be another experience whereby I am once again reminded that Taylor is not a typical child and yet strangely enough I will also be again reminded that we are still very blessed and that it could be much worse. I am anticipating that this experience will be one of my more eye-opening experiences so far because I will again be encountering a brand new environment where there will be a good many children with special needs.

As I write this blog posting, I feel I must stop. I’m sure that I don’t even really need to clarify this, but will since I’ve already started down that path. I am very aware of how fortunate we are and how good we really have it, in the sense of Taylor’s disability. I feel very lucky to know that in this day and age, the possibility of Taylor growing up and living a very typical life is in her future. It’s going to continue to be a lot of work for her to overcome her disability but we have the hope that she is going to! And, of course, I'm not naïve….I know that the parents of children with other disabilities whom I know personally have far, far greater struggles than I do. However, I'm not one to compare myself to others. I never like to think that I've got it better, or that they've got it worse. I suppose it's all in what we know and what our personal experiences are or have been in raising a child with special needs... for example, I've never had a child with autism, I’ve never had a child with down syndrome, etc. so I won’t even pretend to possibly know what it’s like to be in another parent’s shoes who is caring for a child with another form of disability. I can only empathize and try to imagine but I know that I can’t truly appreciate or fully relate to their daily struggles. That said, it’s still hard at times….so, please bear with me as I talk about my experiences and how hard some days can be.


Anyways, back to the school district/therapy meetings...

I am hoping that I like the school environment and the services that are offered through the school district for Taylor. I want to feel confident and secure that in whatever environment that Taylor is in she is challenged, accepted and respected. I’m going to be looking for that perfect fit for her and want to know that she will be well cared for by the therapists that she will see at any new clinic or schools she’ll be enrolled.

I’ll keep you all posted as the upcoming school district meetings and any transitions in Taylor’s services begin to occur. I am nervous about this change in Taylor’s care and in her therapy programs but remain optimistic that the right people will come into Taylor’s life to help her further.