Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Shoe Shopping


Today, Taylor was fitted for another pair of orthotics, known as ankle foot orthotics (AFOs). The AFOs basically just help to stabilize Taylor’s ankles when she walks and give her a little extra support when she’s walking by improving the positioning of her ankles. Without the AFOs, Taylor’s ankles tend to roll in slightly so not only do the AFOs help with proper positioning of her ankles when she stands and walks but they also help to protect the overall joints and bone alignment so that she can stand and walk at her highest potential. The AFOs are worn inside of Taylor’s shoes and are custom-fit to her feet.

Taylor Tolerating The Orthotics Fitting, Paige Crawling Around in the Background



Taylor: Are We Done Yet? I'm Ready to Get Outta' Here

As a mother, the orthotics fittings always lead me to experience a range of emotions. On the one hand, I’m excited to get Taylor a new pair of AFOs because each time we get a new pair for her it is ultimately bringing us closer to her FINAL PAIR.

Eventually, Taylor will not have to wear orthotics at all because the intensive physical therapy program that she is in, coupled with the positive alignment corrections we are making with the use of the AFOs, will eliminate Taylor’s need for orthotics entirely.

Getting the orthotics is still a reminder however that my child is not like “typical” kids. I’ve often struggled with that as I find myself juggling a variety of physical therapy appointments each week and attending to the needs of Taylor on a daily basis. Plus, new orthotics also means new shoe shopping! Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE shoe shopping for myself and for the twins. What mom doesn’t love shopping for their kids?! Unfortunately, fitting Taylor for a pair of shoes that will also be compatible with her orthotics is very challenging. And, when I shop for Taylor’s shoes, I always bring a little fashionista mindset to my search for her shoes. I often vacillate between the need for function and fashion in Taylor’s shoes. Taylor’s shoes must be functional with her orthotics of course; but I also want her shoes to look good too.

And, so, Taylor’s newly designed and meticulously crafted orthotics that we picked up today will now be followed by many hours of me shoe shopping and searching for the perfect pairs of shoes for her. I’ll travel from store to store looking for those just-right shoes that will fit nicely over her AFOs. At some stores, I’ll find the cutest shoes only to discover that they won’t work with Taylor’s braces. I will get frustrated and sad. I will conquer many stores in my quest for new shoes for Taylor as I seek out fashionable and durable shoes that will fit easily and quickly over Taylor’s AFOs. The search will eventually bring me to a few magical pairs that will fit perfectly over Taylor’s braces while still also being stylish and girly-girl cute too.

I, will, of course be sure to show off the final shoe selections to you in a future post, so stay tuned...