Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

They Listen & Understand So Much

Today, I must give Paige and Taylor more credit for what they know and understand. I chatter and jabber with them all day long and I must say there are many times I know I take it for granted. I often don’t consider how much they are listening and/or understanding. Well, did they make me stop and take notice today!

Event #1: We're preparing to leave the house and to get in the car for a few appointments and errands. I say to them, "Okay, let's get on our shoes."

Their Response: They both walk over to the corner, grab their shoes, and bring them to me and sit down side by side one another. Just like that. (I was really impressed that they also brought me their socks too since I didn’t actually mention anything about socks.)

Event #2: Preparing to leave, I grab my purse, toss my cell phone and keys into it and head towards the door.

Their Response: Paige goes over to her toy box and pulls out her pink “Hello Kitty” purse, slings it over her shoulder and says to Taylor: “Come on, Taylor, follow me” and heads towards the garage door too. (I thought it was so cute to see her imitating my own behavior and mimicking my own actions). I gave Paige a quick smile and said, “good job, Paige, you’ve got your purse; looks like you’re ready to go.”

Event #3: I start running around the family room tossing toys into the toy boxes in preparation for leaving the house for the day. Although the main reason I do this is to keep the puppy from chewing up or destroying toys while we’re out of the house, I also like the fact that the twins are being shown how to help out with small responsibilities around the house and that they’re learning that it’s important to clean up after themselves.

Their Response: Without even my asking them to help me this morning, they started picking up their toys and putting them away and singing our little clean-up song: “Clean up, clean up, put your toys away. Clean up, clean up, put your toys away…” (Seeing them jump up and help me without my even asking was pretty cool.)

Event #4 – We’re in the girls’ bedroom, getting them ready for their mid-day naps. I pick each of them up, give them a hug and kiss and put them into their beds.

Their Response: Taylor, while standing up on her bed, leans over and picks up one of her babies – her “Quincy” baby - and gives it a big hug. Paige, also standing up on her bed, holds onto one of her dolls – her “Hoppy Bunny” - and says, “Time to go to sleep” and then gives her doll a hug. Awwwwwwww.

So, while none of this is earthshaking, it was really fun to watch them acting out and saying so much of what we do each and every day together. Today, I had a chance to see them initiating some of these little actions, in their own ways and of their own leading, and it hit me, “Wow, they really do know and understand so much.” I just love ‘em to pieces!


P.S. They are napping as I type this posting. I wonder what other little surprises they will have for me after they wake from their naps that will also make me stop and take notice.