Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Friday, August 8, 2008

To Have More Or Not Have More - That Is The Question


Question: Should I consider having another baby, knowing there is a chance that I might have another set of multiples?

Choose among the following:

A). Yes, I’m nearing that magic number in another couple of years - “35” - at which point, the risks/complications of pregnancy tend to increase. Do it before this magical “35” creeps up on me.


B). No, I’ve gotten my body back to its pre-pregnancy condition and am loving it!

C). Maybe. After all, I’ll receive another incredible gift – a baby, or maybe even two again.

Answer: All of the Above.

So this is my dilemma. My family has a history of having twins and with my first pregnancy, I proved to have the genetic propensity to keep that family legacy going. After having a set of identical twins naturally, I have recently been wondering, if I were to get pregnant again, what are the chances that I’d have another set of multiples?

Here’s what I do know:

- Giving birth to multiples once raises your odds of having multiples again to 1 in 12 – about 4 times greater than the average woman.
- Being taller and nearing the age of 35 increases your odds of conceiving multiples again.
- Having a family history of twins increases your odds of having multiples.

I currently meet all the above criteria.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting pregnant again. There is a part of me that says Paige and Taylor can’t be my last babies. Then, there is a part of me that says I can’t imagine going through another pregnancy while also having to care for toddler twins. I also think to myself, perhaps I’d be lucky enough to do this one more time, whether it’s one baby or more.

I vacillate again.

If I did get pregnant again, sleep will be in short supply. And, if I were to have a set of twins again (oh my), supplies and diapers will have to be purchased in double again. Would I be up for the physical drain again of the first 6 months? Would I be able to manage twin toddlers and a newborn?

Let’s jump ahead to next week….I have an appointment to see my OB/GYN to discuss all these matters. To get my OB/GYNs advice. To talk about any future plans for transitioning back into motherhood again should my husband and I decide that yes, we want to experience something rare and wonderful again – the blessings of a newborn baby (or maybe two babies). Perhaps after talking with my OB/GYN next week, we’ll decide definitively that yes, the romance of motherhood and being pregnant should continue….we’ll see.