Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Little Personal Reflection & Waxing Poetic

I came across a mother today at one of Taylor's therapy appointments whom I struck up a conversation with. During our hour-long chat in the clinic's lobby, I learned a lot about her and her child. Her child, as I learned today, was born at 25 weeks premature weighing less than 2 pounds. Her baby spent more than 3 months in the hospital NICU in a daily, hourly struggle for his little life for the entire duration of his stay in the NICU. He faced multiple surgeries, experienced several brain bleeds and suffered from retinal bleeds while in the NICU. I also learned that the little boy's mother had been told that he would never walk, never see, never talk, never be able to feed himself, never experience life as most children and adults experience life...and that was just the beginning of the struggles he would contend with in life. It was a truly heartbreaking story.

Fast forward to 3 years later...

Today, as I sat and listened to this mother tell about her child's diagnosis and his difficulties and learned about her little boy who had been given such a dismal outlook on life, you'd think that the little boy would be in quite a state. Well, I was amazed at what I saw before my eyes considering his early beginnings in life. Here was a little boy who was not only walking, but talking and laughing and doing what appeared to be what any other little 3 year old might do. And, that whole diagnosis that he would never see, heck, the little boy wasn't even wearing glasses!!!! It was truly incredible to learn this mother's story and that of her little boy. It served as a powerful reminder to me that God can do amazing things - things that defy all medical diagnoses, predictions and statistical outcomes for children born prematurely and with disabilities. I know I have witnessed the hand of God in my own little Taylor's life and have seen Him at work in her life these past 3 years...and, I am so very thankful for his presence in Taylor's life. I simply don't know where Taylor would be without a lot of prayers and God's help and mercy!

As I left the clinic today with Taylor, I was reminded of just how blessed and privileged I am to have a child with a disability. Yep. You heard me correctly. That's not always been something easy to say or come to terms with...there have been many times where I have found myself asking God, "why us?" while at the same time reasoning back to God that He has really overestimated me on this one, that he somehow misjudged what I could handle. But, as I talked with this other mother today and as I listened to her story, I felt God quietly whispering in my ear and I couldn't help but recognize that God had planned this all along, not only for me but for this young mother also (as well as the thousands of other mothers who have been hand-picked by God to love and raise such special children).

It was as if God had destined this other mother's little boy to come into the world very early, struggle for his every breath, his very life for many months only to remind us that God is ultimately in control. No matter what the doctors said to that young mother, no matter the discouraging, hopeless news she received, she loved that little boy in a way that only a mother could. She hoped against all odds. She saw that little boy's promise for life and his potential though the medical "experts" said otherwise! She persevered and persisted with the little boy's therapies, day after day, and now 3 years later, he is a real miracle!!!!

Finally, as I have reflected upon this little boy a little more today and my own little special needs child, a poem I once came across popped into my mind. Tonight, I did a little hunting and pecking on the internet in an attempt to find it and read it again. And, voila, I found it. I am posting the poem below as an encouragement to all other mothers out there who, in the midst of life raising a special needs child of their own, might like me forget just how truly lucky and blessed we really are!


The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice,
a few by social pressure and a couple by habit.
This year nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of special needs children.
Did you ever wonder how these mothers are chosen?
Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth
Selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation.
As he observes, he instructs his angels to take notes in a giant ledger.
"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint, Matthew."
"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter. Patron Saint, Celia."
"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity."
Finally he passes a name to an angel and smiles. "Give her a special needs child."
The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
"Exactly," smiles God. "Could I give such a child a mother who knows no laughter?
That would be cruel."
"But does she have the patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she'll drown in a sea of self-pity and despair.
Once the shock and resentment wear off she'll handle it."
"I watched her today.
She has that sense of self and independence so rare and so necessary in a mother.
You see, the child I'm going to give her has a world of it's own. She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
"But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles. "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."
The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive.
Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect.
She doesn't know it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a spoken word.
She will never consider a step ordinary.
When her child says momma for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it.
I will permit her to see clearly the things I see
Ignorance, cruelty, prejudice -- and allow her to rise above them.
She will never be alone.
I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life
Because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
"And what about her Patron Saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in the air.
God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."