Welcome!

Welcome to my blog - it's like a diary only better. This is my soapbox containing a collection of my thoughts and the experiences of my life raising twins.

Prior to this blog, prior to marriage and prior to the twinsanity that I now call my life, life was quite different for me. When you visit this blog, you won’t find me writing much about my life pre-twins – I hope that’s okay. Why? You ask. Because life with twins changes everything and my life pre-multiples is now just a dizzy, distant memory. And while it’s true that life years ago may have been a little more glamorous, the life I live now is a whole lot more rewarding and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I’m glad you’ve stopped by...there’s a really strong chance that I won’t offer anything extraordinary here, but by the same token there is also the possibility that you will experience a taste of the adventures, challenges and many joys that come with my life with twins. Hopefully that will be enough to bring you back here again.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful Things - Top 10

Research has demonstrated that writing down the things you are grateful for on a regular basis can actually make your life happier. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought I’d dedicate this post to the top 10 things I’m especially thankful for this year. And, while I could actually list far more things I’m thankful for, for the purposes of this blog, I’m going to limit it to just 10. And, what a great exercise this is in “glass mostly full”.

10. My children. Although they are rambunctious, prone to toddler tantrums, fits and spells with each other that include biting, pushing, pulling hair, scratching and all other manners of behavior resembling cat-fights to leave me utterly exhausted at the end of almost every day, they are the most wonderful blessings! I feel so honored and privileged to call them mine and feel so lucky God entrusted them to me. They truly do make me soooooo proud as a mom and are the apple of my eye.

9. My daughter Taylor’s success in overcoming so many of her challenges associated with her cerebral palsy. It seemed like such a big unknown for a while but just this year she has made such tremendous progress. She is walking, granted she trips and tumbles from time to time still, but what kid doesn’t?! I am thankful for God’s touch upon her life and for all the wonderful physical therapists who have come into our lives this year and who have made it possible for Taylor to not only walk today, but to also run sometime in our tomorrows.

8. My daughter Paige who is a playmate and best friend to her sister Taylor. Paige has such a sweet disposition and tender heart…she makes me smile so much and has so much energy that I can easily live vicariously through her! She also has come a really long way since her NICU days and her first year as a newborn when every feeding was touch ‘n go with her and when her little system was so delicate she had to be fed around the clock by the teaspoonful every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. She will always be a bright spot for me and has helped me to realize that I truly could survive twin babies and the seemingly endless days of no sleep whatsoever, and tedious feedings.

7. My darling husband, for "taking care of things" and for “taking care of us girls” so that I can be a stay-at-home mom to Paige and Taylor and so that we have a truly wonderful life. (Thank you, honey!)

6. My daily grande non-fat peppermint mochas with light whip cream from Starbucks – it powers me to start my day and has also served as “comfort” to me on more than one bad day with the twins when in the midst of the twinsanity of my life, the girls and I will just hop into the car and drive to our Starbucks and as the twins say, “get mom’s coffee”. Hey, better this vice than another, right?!

5. The mother and father that I had growing up and for the wonderful personal life examples and heritage of faith and character that they passed onto me.


4. The many blessings of living in such an awesome country as America! A country where everyone, regardless of faith, background and walk of life, has the opportunity to fulfill their every dream.

3. Family & Friends. Both on the East Coast and West Coast (and everywhere in between). And, while I don’t get to spend nearly as much time on the phone with you or see you face-to-face as I used to before the twins came along, you all have a very special place in my heart.

2. My health. God has blessed me with good health – both of mind and body – and, I hope that I will have continued health for the years to come so that I might watch my children grow and become all that God plans for them to be.

And the number one thing that I'm thankful for this year...

...I am able to spend this Thanksgiving season with my three favorite people in the whole wide world – Mike, Taylor and Paige. I’m also thankful for the special pair of braces that I get to put on Taylor’s little legs and feet every day. They’re a reminder to me of how far Taylor’s come and how far these little braces will still take her in life! I’m thankful for the time I get to spend practicing our “S”, “F”, and “P” sounds with Paige and watching her show-off to me her reciting of the alphabet, her counting to 20, her shape sorting and on and on and on. And, finally, I’m simply thankful for remembering to pause long enough to be mindful and realize that life is really but a vapor and how quickly time passes from us and that we must make the most of it with the ones we love and with what God has given to us.